It's All Too Good Man!


Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Other Mangy Moose Plural

Was just thinking and I use the term loosely, Penny isn't the only one in the
family to have a head on with the Moose. We were walking one of the high Unita
trails around a beautiful and calm lake when Susie said quietly, ''look a moose
at water's edge" Wow, here I am not 50 feet from the gargantuan moose when a
strange but familiar feeling comes over me. I began to feel At One With The Moose.
Susie sez lets get out of here which she did leaving nothing but dug in footprints.
I on the other hand armed with the 35MM Olympic felt more and more that a connection
had indeed been made as the moose just watched me as I slowly advance on it with love in it's eyes. I mean
lets face it, I'm not entirely stupid when it comes to wild life even if you are
connected, a person could get badly hurt just by the animal love nudging you.
Which it didn't. It just faced me as I became more and more in tune. Closer I got
to the point where I could just about reach out and pet the one of nature's most wonderful creatures.
Just then moose raised it's cute head and then started thrashing the
water with its hooves and throwing its head around, bellowing, a noise I never want
to hear that close to me again. I made a run for it. Penny and Mel are not the only
runners in the family and when you combine that fact with utter fear you have something akin to meeting up with Big Foot. With the monster in pursuit, The only thing
that saved me was my sense of self preservation racing amongst the very thickest
trees the hillside had to offer. Try as they will a moose cannot get you if you are on the other side of a two hundred year old pine tree. Unless it has a large rack.....and your luck has been on the decline.
The thousand pound crazed creature finally gave up and lumbered back down toward the lake. It was at this point that it occurred to me that
thou I was "At one with the moose, the moose was possibly not at one with me"
Lesson learned! Sometime I must tell you the story of another moose gone mad
at a popular ski and hiking resort and all the people with their children fleeing, picnic baskets flying into the lake, running madly for the visitors lodge as the Bull Moose came thru the water at an unfathomable speed, lurching itself onto the boardwalks down the walk ways throwing it's horn around while we just sat few boardwalks down, me almost pissing myself with laughter. You know, I think I did.
Just tell you.
It's all too good.
Mudflap McMoose

2 comments:

Corbie said...

I hope there aren't a lot of moose (plural) in Florida because Melanie could be in trouble...you guys seem to be magnets for them!

Mudflap said...

I'm not at all sure about the abundant wild life and not so wild life in Florida. All I know is that with Melanie's cool calm and collected manner plus the lens of her camera wizzing in and out, she
would most likely seduce the moose at least into posing for that perfect shot!