It's All Too Good Man!


Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Cold Winter Night's Dream

This is a tale of oddities, dualities and other things that happen out of the ordinary.
I was waiting for my ole friend who was up from the city. to call me until Sat around noon when I realized it probably wasn't going to happen and that I had something to do that I have put off all summer. Yes folks, it is still Summer here in Red Hill with winter like temperatures at night
So me and Burro decided to go get wood in the highlands. With a trailer that didn't have any running lights, turn signals ect. Well we cut, and we loaded and cut and ect ect. Burro once again found the elusive Elk leg bone so was quite comfortable to just lay a little out of site as that is where he in most comfortable gnawing on a bone. I was getting tired and more than hungry when the saw quite literally took command of the cutting of the large tall pine I was working on and back kicked which normally would have been no problem as saws these days are set up with a safety feature that cuts back the throttle and stops the chain were it to get loose of said woodsman. But mine had broke so I removed it. Anyway I was on a steep hill and the saw took command but me being experienced held tight the saw so it would not split my head down the middle or cut a femur artery. I flew backwards and in the process of midair flight threw the saw away from me. Burro, sensing danger once again came racing to my side which was totally prone by then in the sage and he laid down by my side and had his lips curled back and a low growl was being emitted to whatever it was that had thrust his so called master to the ground. Naturally I could not move for a short time as I got whatever wind I have knocked out of me and there we were. Burro ready for the attack and me motionless. It only a few moments before I recovered enough to let Burro know it was OK, but he refused to move still in the attack mode, so I grabbed his collar and asked him to help pull me up which he did. When he saw me on two feet and nothing in the vicinity to harm me except for a chain saw that was still running at high idle he relaxed. I realized at that point I was totally famished so I went looking for the little cooler which housed some sandwiches, and other nourishments only to find I had left them behind. It is getting near dark now and I also realized I had not brought a flashlight. Fumbling around thru the camper shell I found a can of mushroom soup that probably was leftover from Burning Man in 2004. Well what the hell, it's canned and probably good so I fixed it up with water and boiled it and mushroom soup was never so good. The stars came out along with the probable 20 temp and in the mummy bag I dove with Burro lying along side we both stayed relatively warm. Until I had to get up and relieve myself. Then it being so dark and me so zoned, I just kinda thru the mummy bag along with a tarp over me and shivered myself to sleep.
The next morning bright and early way before the sun thought about coming over the mountain I built a good campfire and thoroughly unthawed myself before any thoughts of getting more wood. That time did come thou and then I refueled the saw and filled up the cutting oil, went over by the fire when I noticed my leg seems soaked which it was with cutting oil as I had forgot to put on the oil cap on the saw and it had ran almost a quart down my pant leg and into my boot. Well, not to be deterred, I put the rest of the oil that I had which could be measured in a pint bottle with room to spare in the saw, drank a cup of hot lemon tea (not my usual lattee) and proceeded to get the saw running which it would not. After about 20 pulls on the rope, Burro and I decided to break camp and pull the wood trailer home with our pathetic load and tails between our legs.
After getting home, showering and eating a decent meal of leftover turkey from Tuesday, I then went into the relax mode when I hear Susie hollering that their is someone at the door for me. Well, having seen Linda last year I was pretty certain that the person at the door was not her no matter how hard her life had been. It was her father in law who had a large
package of LUMPIA and a Bottle of PEANUT SAUCE. Waiting till Susie went to do a little shopping I fried 2 of the vegetable Lumpias and soaked them in Peanut Sauce. I do not remember Lumpia ever being so good and the Peanut Sauce was tasty enough do almost drink alone.
So Linda and Friends, that is the story. Now I am stuck with yet another addiction. Lumpia and Peanut Sauce. What is a man to do?
Thank you Linda. And my friends in cyberland and you Lou that put up with my stories.
A great week to you all.
Mudflap McLumpia

3 comments:

Corbie said...

Am I the only person who doesn't know what Lumpia is?

Mudflap said...

I am not sure Corbie. I will have to take a survey. Sadly the survey will be somewhat limited as I only know a small amout of people plus the ones I have gotten to know somewhat in cyberland.
You can have it vegitarian, with chicken, beef, or pork as part of the stuffing and you have not lived until you have a plate of Lumpia. An Asian dish made many differnt ways but always wrapped the same.
Maybe I will just eat Susies portion also as she doesn't know what it is either. I wonder if Peny knows. I would think she would.
MFMF

tristanjh said...

Make that two people.